Wednesday, February 15, 2017

Post #2: DIY Photo to Wood Transfer

    For my first Pinterest project, I chose to do something that was relatively cheap and little production time.
    A photo to wood transfer is simply transferring the ink of a photo to a piece of wood to make the picture look like it is a part of the wood. I saw this pin on Pinterest, the creator of the pin gave very clear instructions and photos to show exactly how everything should look.
    The link to the pin is here.
    https://www.pinterest.com/pin/140737557085742132/
To start my project I had to go and purchase some supplies
  • 2 Sponge Brushes ($1.29 for a three pack at Hobby Lobby)
  • Your choose of wood plaque ($1.99- Hobby Lobby)
  • Mod Podge ($5.99- Hobby Lobby)
  •  Liquitex Basics gloss fluid medium ($9.99- Hobby Lobby)
  • Laser printed photo
  • Wet cloth (not shown)

The first step I took was to apply a thick coat of the gloss fluid medium onto the wood plaque. In the pin, they listed a different base layer but when I got to Hobby Lobby to purchase it, I soon found out that the specific kind that was in the original pin (OP) was $15. So as a college student on a budget I decided to go to the "basic" version and get the gloss fluid medium for only $10.
 
 
Once there was a thick and even (or as even as can be) layer of the gloss fluid medium I immediately put the laser printed picture, face down on the wood plaque.

The key is to have the paper as smooth as possible on the wood. So once I firmly pressed down on the picture I used my student ID to get all off the bubbles out of the paper. I ensured that all parts of the photo was "connected" to the wood, then began the waiting time. Since there is an eight hour/overnight wait, I would suggest doing the beginning steps close to the time you plan on going to bed.  

After a very long night of sleep (12 hrs) I made sure the paper felt dry. I also noticed that I got a little crazy with my gloss medium and noticed it had run over most of the sides, leaving a yellow gel-like substance, that was very visible. But I proceeded anyway.


To begin the final stages of the project I got a wet washcloth and dampened the entire surface of the paper.

I then began to rub off bits and pieces of the paper, in a circle motion. At first it was working really well then I started to go a little faster causing some of the photo ink to come off also.
 

After all the paper was removed I began to peel off the edges where I allowed too much of the gloss to run off. After all the paper was removed I was actually pretty impressed at how well it transferred.

One of the final steps is allowing the wood to dry, then applying a layer of Mod Podge to the wood. In the OP, the creator used "Antique Finish" Mod Podge but I prefer the glossy finish more.

After letting the Mod Podge dry, I could have been done. It looked ten times better than I thought it was ever going to but I just could not stand seeing the excess gloss fluid along the sides.

I proceeded to paint the wood white all around the picture, to give it a "framed" look.
 

I added the "Friends" logo onto the "frame" so I could put it up as a decoration in the room I share with all three of the girls pictured. (I am also a huge Friends fan!!!)

I went into this project thinking it was going to end up on my "Bad" list but it definitely surprised me. Not only was it super easy to do, but I only spent $16 (with my 40% off coupon at Hobby Lobby). 

This pin is officially on, the Good List. 

2 comments:

  1. I have been thinking of doing something like this as a gift. Thank you for your step by step preview, I think it'll help your followers if the decide to do this project.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Taryn, I enjoy reading your post of DIY photos. I was thinking of what I can give my host family as a gift, and you give me an idea. It is a meaningful gift to give friends and families. I love your note of price of the material, and your photos and introduction steps by steps. These make me clear that how I can make a photo to wood transfer and how much it cost. It is so useful!

    ReplyDelete