Sunday, February 26, 2017

Post #3: Pom-Pom Rug

WARNING: This project feels like it takes eternity to finish.

    As I was scrolling through Pinterest figuring out what pin I was going to recreate I stumbled upon a Pom-Pom Rug. I had never seen a pom-pom rug so I was very excited to try it. Little did I know that this project would entail getting sores on my fingers and taking three days to get done. But that is just fine with me because I really enjoyed the way it turned out.
    The link to the pin can be found here.
Supplies:
    Something to wrap yarn around
    Scissors
    Yarn
    Rug Mat
The pin suggest using a paper towel tube and cutting it in half, then using that to wrap the yarn around. But I forgot to grab the tube from my trash can so the water bottle was the best thing I could find.
 After using the water bottle for one yarn pom-pom I quickly discovered that the water bottle was not my best option so I decided to wrap the yarn around my hand instead.
 Once the yarn was wrapped around my hand 90 times, I removed the bundle from my hand and laid it on the table. Next I cut another piece of yarn (about 12 inches). I then placed the coiled yarn on top, and tied a knot with this 12-inch piece. I cut only the ends of the looped yarn to make the pom-pom.
The next step is to thread the pom-pom tails through the mat. I tied a knot at the ends of the tails. Then began to fill in the rest of the mat and cut the ends of the tails off.
 I started on the rug and finished three days later, the three days consisted of a lot of Netflix and quite a few blisters forming on my fingers from wrapping the yarn around them. But even though it took many, many hours I am really excited about how the rug turned out.
Unfortunately this project ended up being a lot more expensive and a lot more time consuming than originally hoped. I had to buy 11 skeins of yarn priced at $3.99 along with a rug mat at $5.99 resulting in a $50 mat. In retrospect that is a good price for that size of rug, but on a college budget it was more than I wanted.

Although this rug turned out extremely cute and perfect for my room, the high prices and long process I am going to have the put this pin on the...... Pinterest-ing List!

2 comments:

  1. Goodness! This is so cute! I can only imagine what it feels like to wiggle your toes in! Would be great to put in a little girls room or make an awesome design and use a bathroom rug. I cant wait to see what you do next!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, it must be so comfortable to step on the rug! I love it. I like your choosing of colors of the rug and the name you gave it. Your third post is different from the second one. You give me surprise again! I can't wait to see your next posts!

    ReplyDelete